Norulhafiza Zainal Abidin - Psychology


What is your full name?
Norulhafiza Binti Zainal Abidin

What year did you graduate?
2001

What was your IRK & Human Sciences major in IIUM?
Psychology

What is your Current Position & Company?
Executive (Team Lead) , I-CIMB (M) Sdn Bhd


What are your responsibilities & achievements at this current position?
  • Responsible to manage and monitor daily reconciliation of accounts for transaction performed by the Centre
  • Manage daily & monthly reporting to Financial HQ for the Bank - To ensure all transaction activity is in balance for the day and to rectify the error identified
  • Supervise overall day to day of the back office operation

Please share your work history, companies you've worked for, your responsibilities in each role and your achievements in those roles
  • April 2001 - 2003: Southern Finance Berhad - Clerk. Why Clerk? Because they do not have the best candidate to fill up the post. So, I thought, any job is a good job, I just grabbed it and I accepted any post. But within only 5 months, I have been promoted to Executive Officer with a recommendation.
  • 2003 - 2007: Southern Bank Bhd-Commerce Bank Berhad -CIMB Bank Berhad - Process of merger happening all the way. Still maintaining under Executive Position.
  • 2007 till now : I-CIMB (M) Sdn Bhd . Join the back bones of Bank Operating Process. Become Team Lead in various teams under Financial Team who performed the back office transaction for CIMB BANK BHD all over the Malaysia.

What are some of the challenges you faced as a IRK & Human Sciences student while you were studying at IIUM?
  • The language. From being non-English speaking, I needed to teach myself to listen and speak in English everyday :-)
  • When people ask, what did you study? Just need to smile and say "Sains Kemanusiaan". My late mother would always say to them, "Alaa, belajar pasal tumbuh-tumbuhan, and I will laugh at that"

What are some of the challenges you faced as a fresh graduate?
  • Finding the correct job that suit you the most. 
  • For me, no matter what job you are enrolled in, as long as you fight and are not afraid to learn beyond what you know, everything will be alright. As for me, I studied Psychology but ended up at a totally different field which really broadened my view.
  • I used the knowledge that I learned in Psychology and applied it to the new environment of work.
  • The best we can do as a fresh graduate, do not be afraid to try and learn new things.

What advice would you give to IRK & Human Sciences students seeking to pursue careers using their qualifications?
  • Never give up on the job that has been given to you
  • Do your best in any job and learn new things. Sometime what you learn does not match your job is. As an example, as a Psychology student, I should be at least a counselor or a teacher but for the last 14 years, I am a banker
  • Believe that everything comes from Allah. He put us to in a certain position because He knows it was meant for us

What else would you like to tell the IRK & Human Sciences students currently studying at IIUM?
  • Be yourself
  • Learn new things, study is not the only thing you can do
  • Learn new languages, it really can help boost the self confidence
  • Improve your communication skills, socialize with others so that you will have confidence  with other people

If you would like to ask more, email to: sriputeh0911@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment